Who were Auguste Rodin and Julia Margaret Cameron?
Auguste Rodin (1840 – 1917) was a French sculptor and is well-known for his statue “The Thinker”. A somewhat hazy and poetic style is what he demanded of the photographers whom he hired to photograph his statues. Besides that, Rodin wasn’t really charmed by artificial lighting and sharp prints. The requirements of Rodin stood in sharp contrast to what was common practice in art photography at that time.
Julia Margaret Cameron
Julia Margaret Cameron (1815 – 1879) was a British photographer who is known for her mythological and heroic scenes and her portraits of celebrities of her time. She started with photography at a later age and was a self-taught photographer. She is one of my current sources of inspiration, her soft-focus portraits and scenes often have an intimate and dreamy atmosphere. Her style also stood in sharp contrast to what was common practice in photography in her time.
The photo serie
During my second visit to the exhibition I tried to catch the sculptures of Rodin in this intimate and dreamy style, you can see at my Facebook page , where you can view the complete serie, if I succeeded. View the complete album on Facebook: Photo album Rodin – “Genius At Work” Groninger Museum 2017
Exhibition Groninger Museum
You can still visit the exhibition Rodin – Genius At Work at the Groninger Museum until 30 April 2017. See the website of the museum for more information about the exhibition: www.groningermuseum.nl
More about Rodin and Julia Margaret Cameron
- About the exhibition Rodin – Genius At Work: www.groningermuseum.nl/en/all-you-need-to-know-about-Rodin-Genius-at-Work
- Wikipedia Rodin (NL): https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Rodin
- Wikipedia Rodin (EN): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Rodin
- Website Musée Rodin (EN): www.musee-rodin.fr/en
- Rodin 100 Short stories about Rodin (EN): http://rodin100.org/en/tops-flops
- Wikipedia Julia Margaret Cameron (NL): https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Margaret_Cameron
- Wikipedia Julia Margaret Cameron (EN): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Margaret_Cameron
- Rodin Genius At Work – Tentoonstellings publicatie, Groninger Museum, 2016.